Friday 4 November 2011

Life's simple pleasures

Twice a week I walk my two eldest (not exactly old being 3 and coming up for 6) grandchildren to school and nursery in nearby Steyning. Every time I am there the beauty of being in the country hits me like new. Instead of walking out of my house into a busy main road, I walk out of my daughter's house into a beautiful little village and we make our way through a series of twittens to the local school and then on through the churchyard, park and across the "faerie" bridge to nursery.No matter what the weather we are always accompanied by birdsong and, now in the autumn, all along the way we pick up acorns, pine cones and conkers scattered along the ground. It is is joy to be up early in the morning with a purpose again on those days and even though I have to wait at the bus stop in the dark, my bus stop is right next to the sea and on several occasions lately, I have watched the sunrise over the water as I have waited for my bus. Sometimes we are reminded so beautifully of how lucky we are and never more so than when we stop to take in the natural beauty around us. Wherever we are in the world, Mother Nature paints her own pictures and as I get older, I notice even more details within those paintings. One of the things that I am so grateful for is the opportunity to share these simple joys with my grandchildren, knowing that they will grow up appreciating the simple pleasures of life and the beauty of the natural world. It does wonders for days when we get tired and stressed with all the electronic barrage going on around us all nowadays, don't you think? Let's all try and find a little time to enjoy the beauty around us, wherever we are in the world, this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment